Sunday, February 10, 2013

Minneapolis Musings

I heard from a friend in Minneapolis, Minnesota yesterday.  He said they were buried in snow and sent his well wishes my way.  I had to giggle to myself when I replied that it was in the 50s and the sun was shining with not a snowflake nor raindrop to be seen or felt.

I've only been to Minneapolis once.  I had the pleasure of presenting at the Division for Early Childhood Council for Exceptional Children conference in late October.  We landed Sunday evening, presented Tuesday morning, and were back in NC by Tuesday night.  With only being there for a short time, I was thankful for Paul's offer to show me the city the first night I was there.  I wasn't able to take him up on his offer to sightsee during the day on Monday as I was at conference sessions throughout the day but we did manage to go to the Mall of America and dinner that night.


The Basilica of Saint Mary, America's First Basilica and Co-Cathedral of the Archdiocese of Saint Paul & Minneapolis

This is where Paul and I went to mass on the first night.

View from Skywalk


What a beautiful space of worship!

Each month, the Basilica displays artwork from local artists.


This altar is dedicated to St. Anthony of Padua who was a preacher, confessor, and doctor of the Church.

This crucifixion tableau was modeled after a miraculous crucifix in Lympia, Spain and was carved in situ (which means it was carved on-site, here at the Basilica by the sculptor).

St. Anthony of Padua altar











Paul, my "tour guide" for Minneapolis, and I enjoyed our impromptu tour of the Basilica after mass. 






This was our view as we left the beautiful sanctuary and explored the downtown area of the city.



Here is where the Minnesota Twins play baseball!



This was the closest we could get to the ballfield.





Mary Tyler Moore statue!


Dr. Mariana hard at work presenting!

During my lunch break, on Monday, I found an awesome Catholic church called St. Olaf.  This is the chapel where Adoration was happening when I stumbled upon it.
 


I loved the artistic carved into the wall Stations of the Cross in the chapel.

Beautiful space for a midday mass!





Of course we had to stop at Target, the first and biggest one, or so I'm told!


Every city needs a Skywalk...what a genius architectural invention!
Mall of America Biggest Loser type of competition that was happening when we got there.

I was blown away by the Mall of America!!


I have to have this American Girl doll for my office when I'm a professor!  ; )


Dusty!



The mall had an aquarium!!?



Indoor amusement park at Mall of America



All of these sculptures you see are made entirely of Legos!!


Another amazing Lego creation



Lego helicopter










They call this the Stanley Cup building because it looks like the hockey trophy.
This is where we ate lunch after successfully presenting at the conference.






Hardworking doc students on the plane rides home...




Southwest stewardesses know how to have fun...what can I say, it was close to Halloween....!




The girls of Ferguson reunite!


No comments:

Post a Comment