Thursday, December 13, 2012

12.12.12

Today was my Grandmother's birthday.  She would have been 103.  I also was supposed to have Christmas Cookie Exchange (# 2) / Gift Wrapping Party in Room 301.  What are the odds of that?!  Unfortunately the room was locked when I tried to set up but fortunately we were able to enjoy ourselves in Room 401 instead.

 8 of us gathered with our cookies and gifts to wrap at the CCE.  With Charlie Brown Christmas & other holiday episodes playing in the background on the big screen, the end of the semester campus traffic below us bustling by on Spring Garden Street, and the twinkling Christmas balls shining brightly in the nighttime sky outside Old Town, I listened to the various conversations around me and watched everyone pitch in and help one another wrap gifts for loved ones.

Amidst the hustle and bustle of tonight, I couldn't help but think of Grandma and all the conversations we had as we wrapped gifts in preparation for the holidays and enjoyed cookies and milk late into the night as a teenager.  So many of her conversations with me, her only granddaughter, often led to, "Now my little princess, when you grow up, you find yourself an Irish Catholic young man".  I have to chuckle now, in retrospect, at her emphasis not being on Catholic & Irish but on the young lad needing to be Irish first then Catholic.  Hehe.  

Today was also the Feast Day of Our Lady of Guadalupe, which again makes me think of my Grandmother since she loved roses and was known for having rose bushes grow up to her green awning of her porch on McMinn Street.  Anyhow, I had lunch with my advisor and mentor, Dr. Compton, this afternoon.  Upon seeing her for our morning meeting before lunch, I smiled on the inside....she was wearing a beautiful vibrant red coat and scarf, which is definitely her color....and which also further reminded me of my Grandmother's beautiful roses and the story of Our Lady of Guadalupe. 


So, now, as we officially cross over into 12/13/12, and wait yet another day for the arrival of another new little Kemmery (we had been hoping he or she would be born on 12/12/12 just like his or her great grandmother!), I'm grateful for having had such a wonderful day with Dr. Compton and an equally spendid evening with church friends as we celebrated Christmas spirit with one another.  I think Grandma would be proud of a day like today...one that was spent striving to improve educationally followed up by spending time with fine young Catholic friends!  I just wonder which cookie she would want to eat if she were sitting here with me...my guess is the sugar icing cookie sandwich!  My mom (yes, she and Dad miraculously are here in NC for an extended visit!) just said, she would say, "Oh, let me sample each and every one for you!" 



2 comments:

  1. At first I thought baby Kemmery was born yesterday!! Happy Birthday to your grandma!

    ReplyDelete