Sunday, December 30, 2012

Girl Talk

On December 17th, my newest nephew, Nicholas Brien, was born first thing in the morning at 8:08am.  I had just dropped off my niece, Mason Noelle, at school and was on the way home with two of her brothers, Clark and Braden, when I got the news that the new baby was here and the baby was a BOY!!

I asked my brother if he wanted me to tell Mason or if he wanted to wait until he could tell her the news himself.  He said for me to go ahead and tell her since he would be at the hospital.  With his blessing, I turned the van around and took Clark and Braden back to school so that we could break the news!

After unbuckling the children from their carseats and walking back into the school, I knocked on Mason's classroom doorway.  Her teachers looked up in surprise, then excitedly asked, "Do you have news?!" to which I nodded yes.  All the children came running over and when Mason made her way to the front of the group, Clark walked right up to her and proclaimed, "Mason!  The baby in Mommy's tummy is Nicholas!"  Mason, silently stood, taking in the news.  One of her teachers quietly asked me, "Was she hoping for a sister?"  As the children giggled and talked about babies, Mason stood off to the side as Clark kept repeating, "We have a baby brother!" and Braden proudly walked around the classroom, excited to be with the "big kids" in the classroom.

I immediately knelt down in front of Mason and said, "Guess what!  Not only do you and I like purple, nail polish, and sparkles, but we have something else in common!!!"  Mason shyly looked up at me as I spoke.  I said, "Who else do you know who has 3 brothers?!!"  She shrugged her shoulders and looked away (seeming to be overwhelmed by all the commotion going on in the classroom by our entrance and announcement).  I said, "Oh come on...who has 3 brothers??"  Mason giggled, smiled, and pointed to me.  "That's right and guess what....now you do too!!"  She jumped up and down and said, "Yeah, we both have 3 brothers!"  I then asked the class, "Do we have any Nicholas(es) in here??"  (Guess the teacher in me was coming out..!)  Turns out there was one little boy who is named Nicholas who was oh so excited and proud to have the same name as the new baby.  How sweet it was to see all these children be so genuinely excited and happy over a stranger they had never met.

As I left the room with Clark and Braden, Mason's teachers said, "Don't worry, we'll work on it!"  I don't know what they said or did but when I picked sweet Mason up that afternoon, she came bounding out the doors of the school, raced to the van, and excitedly strapped herself into her carseat all the while announcing what she was going to say to the new baby when she met him.  She stopped the nonstop one girl conversation long enough to confirm, "Aunt Megan, his name is Nicholas right??", then continued with her monologue about how he would be the cutest baby ever and she couldn't wait to see him.

I feel so honored to have been part of the miracles that unfolded on December 17th, even if indirectly.  My arms ache to hug my little NC nephews and niece since it's been 12 days since I've seen them.  If this is how much I miss them when home for break, how in the world will I do with the separation once I move to wherever I move to after graduating in a few short 16 months and 1 week?!






















Mason Noelle clearly has all of our hearts!! 
Such a cutie pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment