Friday, December 14, 2012

Lord have mercy!!

What a tragic day we are experiencing right now.  This morning, at 9:41am, a 24 year old man opened fire on Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, CT.  Apparently his mother was a schoolteacher there and is one of the many who have died today.  Details are still unclear but at last count, there were at least 27 people who have been killed, 18 of whom may be children.

I can't even imagine the horror and sorrow that so many are facing in CT at this very moment.  Although I'm not a mother, I'm a teacher and love my niece and nephews to pieces.  I was so thankful when my 3.5 year old nephew woke up from his nap this afternoon and came downstairs to be with me as the rest of the family is out and about running errands while I tried to do schoolwork but found myself distracted with following the developing news story up north. 

As I listened to the news, I couldn't help but think of this image and these words:


Our mother of sorrows,
with strength from above you stood by the cross,
sharing
in the sufferings of Jesus,
and with tender care
you bore Him in your arms, mourning and weeping.

Holy Mary,
may we follow your example,
and stand by all your children
who need comfort and love.

Mother of God,
stand by us in our trials
and care for us in our many needs.
Pray for us now and at the hour of our death.

May Mary mother all those innocent children tonight.
 
When Clark wandered down to the living room, I forced myself to shut off the sorrow that was being revealed via the TV and log off Facebook where I was being updated on the news and my friends' feelings on the situation.  I tried to keep my mind off what was happening and focus on comforting Clark who was upset he wasn't at his little brother's doctor appointment with Mommy.  We had fun playing with a Christmas Tree poster I used to use when teaching.  After "putting the tree together", I asked if he wanted to read any of the Snowman books I share with the children during the holidays (another leftover from my teaching days..hehe). 


 
 
 Instead, he said, "No, I want to read from your special book!"  This special book is one that I only read when all the children are present and usually read before nap or bedtime.  I can't even recall the last time we read from the book...perhaps it was sometime in the summer or early fall.  At first, I said, "No, we can read from the Christmas or holiday books we have right here Clark!" but when his lower lip trembled and he flashed those irresistible dimples of his, I said it was ok and for him to retrieve the book from the guest room where I keep it.

 
I asked Clark which saint we were going to read about today...he responded with, "St. Paul!" For some reason, he and Mason love to read his story. I couldn't help but think of how I needed this. I needed to shut off the TV, take myself offline, and be with my precious little nephew and through being with him, he was guiding me toward these words that come from the First Letter of St. Paul to the Corinthians.
 



Some have been questioning where is God amidst such tragedy?  I don't have the answers...but do find solace in this statement:

"The human heart has depths from which schemes of unheard-of ferocity sometimes emerge, capable of destroying in a moment the normal daily life of a people. But faith comes to our aid at these times when words seem to fail. Christ’s word is the only one that can give a response to the questions which trouble our spirit. Even if the forces of darkness appear to prevail, those who believe in God know that evil and death do not have the final say. Christian hope is based on this truth; at this time our prayerful trust draws strength from it."

—Blessed John Paul II
 
Also, in seeing all the images that are coming out of CT today, I'm so thankful for all those who are providing support and love, in person and via prayers and thoughts, to those directly affected by this tragedy.
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of 'disaster,' I remember my mother's words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world." - Mister Rogers
Dear God be with all those who are suffering today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment