Friday, December 14, 2012

Let love in...

Tonight, my brother, the children, and I stood outside a grocery store ringing bells for the Salvation Army.  The kids enjoyed ringing the bells, passing out candy canes, singing "Jingle Bells", and wishing the customers a Merry Christmas as they passed us on their way into the store.

 
This was a new volunteering venture for me as in the past, I've worked at shelters for the homeless, served meals, participated with Habitat for Humanity, worked at the US Figure Skating Championships, and the Wyndham Golf Championships to name a few. 

Over the summer, after having stood outside at the Wyndham, in the blistering sun all day, a friend commented, "Well, that's not really volunteering because you're just helping the golf people and are not really doing anything worthwhile."  Stunned, and sore from the sunburn I had acquired from standing outside all day, I didn't know how to respond.  An interesting occurrence at this past Wyndham was when I unexpectedly had a conversation with a fellow volunteer about the rosary once she learned I was Catholic.  She asked me about the magic beads us Catholics pray and well, "Where is Jesus in the rosary?"  You just never know where or when your faith will be called into question!  Had I not given a day of my time to help others at this golf championship, I would not have had the opportunity to share my faith with this woman. Shouldn't we be living our lives by living out our faith as witnesses for others to see,  no matter what the opportunity looks like?

Sure, when I deliver a meal for Meals that Heal or Mobile Meals, I'm not changing the big picture of the recipients' lives and they will still live in lonliness or poverty but maybe for that one moment when I appear at their front doors, their days have been brightened and their bellies are filled as they eat the food I have provided.  Or, when I visit or write to my person in the nursing home through the Not Alone Ministry, that person has had a happier afternoon.  Sure, folks may not attend all the events that are planned for the Young Adults Group at church but for the few who do, I would hope that they grew spirtually or at least had a fun social time with others.  Yes, I don't know my way around a toolbox, but point me in the right direction, and I can help to build a playground for children with special needs.  Along the same lines, I'm not the most athletically inclined gal, but I can help with the concessions for the Miracle League.  I may never meet the person in a far away country who will eat the food I've prepared but I know in my small way, I'm making a difference. 

I'm sorry, but you can't tell me that volunteering doesn't make a difference or doesn't matter.  Not only have I grown from participating in all these different experiences but I would hope that others have been affected in a positive way as well...especially when there is so much hatred and lonliness in the world.  What if we all banded together to try to make it a happier place for at least one person?  Isn't that what Jesus' teaching was all about...to be good stewards and share our gifts in whatever form that may be?  Let's let love in and give a little more of our time and love to others, not only tonight, but everyday!








No comments:

Post a Comment