Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Meals as a Mrs. ~ Authentic Cincinnati Chili

Each semester, in my Active Learning:  Science and Social Studies for the Young Child class, my students complete a Local Resources homework assignment.  The purpose of this assignment is to investigate field trip opportunities within a 50 mile radius of the student's hometown or place where he or she hopes to land a teaching job.  Per Adam's request, I also ask the students to list popular resturants or a place one MUST eat at in their hometowns which is almost as fun as viewing the educational experiences and opportunities that are available.  As a result, Adam and I have since learned about Cincinnati Chili as that has been a popular student favorite over the last couple semesters. 

Therefore, last fall, Adam set out to find an authentic recipe for this dish and that he did!  He made this Authentic Cincinnati Chili recipe in mid-October.  He made it 4-way complete with spaghetti, raw chopped onions, grated mild cheddar, and oyster crackers which made for a very interesting culinary experience.

I was surprised to learn that chocolate was part of this recipe!!  I also might have liked it better if the recipe used sauteed onions rather than raw ones.  It was fun trying this new (to me) dish and I'm excited to try other "local" cuisines as we get to know our new state of Ohio better.

In light of what happened in Orlando the other day, this passage from Corinithians has been going through my mind lately:

Love is patient.
Love is kind.
It always protects.
Always trusts.
Always hopes.
Always perseveres.
Love never fails.

No comments:

Post a Comment