Monday, June 13, 2016

Meals as a Mrs. ~ Tortellini Crockpot Meal

Just before Halloween last year, I tried out a new dish that involved using the crockpot and tortellini.




This meal was okay.  I wouldn't say it was scrumptious as the recipe stated but may have liked it more if there were some kind of meat mixed in with it to make it a bit more filling.  The sauce also came out thinner than I expected.  However, looking at the image above reminds me of when we used to juice on a regular basis.  Some of the drinks Adam made were really yummy!!  Hopefully we will get back into regular juicing again at some point.

In the previous two Meals as a Mrs. blog postings, I shared the first and second reading from our wedding mass.  Now I will share with you our Gospel Reading from Luke 24:  13 - 35:

Now that very day two of them were going to a village seven miles from Jerusalem called Emmaus, and they were conversing about all the things that had occurred.  And it happened that while they were conversing and debating, Jesus himself drew near and walked with them, but their eyes were prevented from recognizing him.  He asked them, "What are you discussing as you walk along?"  they stopped, looking downcast.  One of them, named Cleopas, said to him in reply, "Are you the only visitor to Jerusalem who does not know of the things that have taken place there in these days?"  And he replied to them, "What sort of things?"  They said to him, "The things that happened to Jesus the Nazarene, who was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people, how our chief priests and rulers both handed him over to a sentence of death and crucified him.  But we were hoping that he would be th eone to redeem Israel; and besides all this, it is now the third day since t his took place.  Some women from our group, however, have astounded us:  they were at the tomb early in the morning and did not find his body; they came back and reported that they had indeed seen a vision of angels who announced that he was alive.  Then some of those with us went to the tomb and found things just as the women had described, but him they did not see."  And he said to them, "Oh, how foolish you are!  How slow of heart to believe all that the prophets spoke!  Was it not necessary that the Messiah should suffer these things and enter into his glory?"  Then beginning with Moses and all the prophets, he interpreted to them what referred to him in all the scriptures.  As they approached the village to which they were going, he gave the impression that he was going on farther.  But they urged him, "Stay with us, for it is nearly evening and the day is almost over."  So he went in to stay with them.  And it happened that, while he was with them at table, he took bread, said the blessing, broke it, and gave it to them.  With that their eyes were opened and they recognized him, but he vanished from their sight.  They they said to each other, "Were not our hearts burning [within us] while he spoke to us on the way and opened the scriptures to us?"  So they set out at once and returned to Jerusalem where they found gathered together the eleven and those with them who were saying, "The Lord has truly been raised and has appeared to Simon!"  Then the two recounted what had taken place on the way and how he was made known to them in the breaking of the bread.

Adam proposed to me after a full day of traveling and covering a lot of ground by car and on foot.  We were tired from our day's adventures, dusty from all the time spent outside and walking, but refreshed and recharged after mass.  The gospel that evening was what you just read above this section.  The monsignor that night spoke of the journeys we are all walking throughout life and those who accompany us on the journey.  It reminded me of something some good friends in NC and I used to reflect on in dating with intentionality, "Run the race for the Lord.  After a while, take a look around you and see who else is running with you."  

Anyhow, back to that evening and listening to that gospel and homily, I remember being so thankful for Doris (one of my closest friends in NC who had moved to CO and whom we were visiting that weekend) and Adam's presence in my life.  I recall sitting in that pew, with my hand in his, and being so extremely how grateful for the gift of Adam and for God bringing us together to have the two of us share each other's journeys with one another.  Then, moments later, Adam asked me to be his life companion on the journey.  Ah!!

So, it didn't take long to choose this passage from our engagement mass to also be the gospel reading for our wedding mass.  What's even more awesome is that the front wall of the church has this exact scene depicted on it.  All those years of praying in that church for my future husband and hoping he was doing well while facing that wall....it wasn't until my Mom and I quietly snuck into the dark church after the initial meeting with Father Louis a week or so after the proposal that my eyes were opened and I truly saw what was displayed in front of me.  How surreal it was to realize God had brought me to my life's companion and that we were now able to move forward with planning the wedding in this very church now that Fr. Louis had granted us our wedding date and to think about saying our vows at the foot of this companion on the journey scene!!  There were so many times I would stay after mass or let myself into the church between schools during my work day when I would offer up the loneliness and ask God to show me the way, especially after a failed relationship or when I was struggling with self doubt.  When I think back to all those times on the journey when it felt as if I were alone, I can see now that God was simply getting us ready and preparing us for the other person.  I don't think it is mere coincidence that the scene at the front of my church from so many years prior to Adam's proposing two time zones away from York was the same as the engagement gospel reading that was heard in a state clear across the country.  I love the beauty of the small details that are interwoven in this journey Adam and I get to walk together and wonder where the road will lead next.  I hope we continue to keep our eyes fixed on the truth and that we work to discern God's will all the while.  

The gospel reading also served as inspiration for our recessional or closing hymn of the wedding mass:  Companions on the Journey by Carey Landrey (see below for lyrics).  One of our friends in NC, Lynn, sang this song for us at the end of the mass as we greeted our guests.  She did a wonderful job and it will forever be a cherished moment from our wedding day!!

We have been gifted with each other, and we are called by the Word of the Lord: to act with justice, to love tenderly, and to walk humbly with our God, to walk humbly with our God.

We are companions on the journey...to walk side by side with hope in our hearts...We will seek and we shall find; we will knock and the door shall be opened; we will ask and it shall be given, for we believe in the love of our God, we believe in the love of our God. 



No comments:

Post a Comment