Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Dawes-irific

A couple months back, in the space of 24 hours, I saw two different friends post statuses on Facebook about this awesome little band called Dawes.  This made my brother & me happy in a bittersweet way.

A couple summers ago, my little brother and I went to see them in Chattanooga, TN.  This was Patrick's second time seeing them and my first.  That trip to TN was a terrific one and one I think of often when reminiscing.  Patrick drove as I did schoolwork in the front seat since I was supervising/teaching student teachers that summer.  I laugh to think of how busy I thought I was then compared to now!  We took a break to go hiking at Chimney Rock on the way to Chattanooga.  What beautiful mountains and incredible waterfalls we saw while there!
 
 

We then continued to TN where we enjoyed every second we spent in the beautiful (dog-friendly) city.  We didn't know, at the time, that as we crossed this bridge (well I didn't know), that Chattanooga's Walnut Street bridge that spans the Tennessee River is the longest pedestrian bridge in the world!



The purpose of our trip was to see Dawes (for free!!) at the first summer concert series of the season and see them we did...from the FRONT row!  We actually got to talk with members of the band in the beginning as the opening act performed and I swear they made eye contact with us as we rocked out to their awesome songs. 





I mean with lyrics such as these, how can you not but love these guys?!


You can put them on the counter,
there with all the other flowers
and help me figure out how to turn off this TV

I'm glad you made the visit,
and if you think you have a minute,
you should sit and talk until it's time to leave

Is my granddaughter Ruthie still working at the movies?
Does she still let all her boyfriends in for free?
Does she still stare out of the front door
as she's serving people popcorn
and talk about how nice today was supposed to be?

Oh, that's the love that I came to bear witness to
Oh, and the love I'm taking with me when I go

Did you notice walking over
at the house down on the corner
there's a dog behind a window that doesn't move
I've seen him staring in the mornings, I've seen him staring in the evenings
as if time stops until his master's in the room
Oh, that's the love that I came to bear witness to
Oh, and the love I'm taking with me when I go

Some nights get worse than others,
and I start thinking about your mother
and she's here with me as far as I can tell
as if the world revealed its secret and it's asking me to keep it like a kid that hears the ocean in a shell

And that's the love that I came to bear witness to
And the love I'm taking with me when I go

Oh, that's the love that I came to bear witness to
Oh, and the love I'm taking with me when I go



So, we're happy they are becoming more well-known and liked by the contemporary mainstream but there's something to be said about the smaller (free) venues and little known bands.  We spent less than 24 hours in Chattanooga but that trip and the memories we shared will always be special for me.  We drove all night and made it back to NC at something like 5am, slept for a few hours, then celebrated our nephew's 2nd birthday party that was held around lunch time.  While I was utterly exhausted that Saturday and Sunday following our trip, I don't regret a single second of seeing a new mountain/park, exploring a charming Chatanooga, and discovering one of my favorite bands, all with my terrific little brother.  I can't wait to go see Dawes with him (and Ashley) in an oldie but goodie, Baltimore, in Summer 2013!!  I also can't wait for the new Dawes album to come out one week from today!!  Until then, enjoy one of my all time favorites from Taylor! 




No comments:

Post a Comment