Sunday, April 14, 2013

This Weekend's Soundtrack

What an awesomely Catholic weekend I had!!

From spending time with Catholic Young Adults (YAs) at the season opener of the Greensboro Grasshoppers baseball game on Thursday night to going to the Ignited by Truth Catholic Conference in Raleigh on Saturday to spending time with two friends at mass tonight, I'm so appreciative of the blessings and graces that have been poured forth on us.  

I don't know if this happens for you but I think in terms of songs a lot.  Not to encourage you, dear reader, to think I'm crazy but I often like to think of theme songs to go with what I'm doing or going through as I'm out and about..almost like a soundtrack to my life of sorts.  This past weekend has me thinking of the 2 songs below....as what usually happens after a retreat or getaway, I'm on fire and inspired and want to go out and light up the world!  We all need to live out our passions and try to make a difference in the world as only each of us can do in our own unique ways!

 Ironically, on the morning of the IBT conference, as I was getting ready to leave the house at (gulp) 6:30am, I read a passage from 7 months ago in September 2012 (yes, I'm a little behind on my reading but then again, I am a doc student..). 

Following Jesus often goes against the grain.  Peter had been fishing all night and caught nothing (can you believe this was tonight's gospel reading?!).  It was not logical to think that trying one more time would make a difference.  We may have tried time and again to reconcile with a family member, console a coworker, or build a consensus for the good of others-all without success.  But on any particular day, Jesus can provide us with a new opportunity and say, "Try again".  Peter would advise us to trust him.  When today is the day Jesus has chosen, there will be a catch!  

So if you're searching for a job with no luck, if you're lonely and praying for your future partner, if you're unsatisfied with where you are in life, keep on trying.  You never know what will happen in only God's perfect timing!!

On the way home yesterday, listening to a CD I had made for last year's Women's Retreat Weekend, I heard this song:

  

How true this is as well!!  God will never forsake us...we only need to be open and to listen!!  The "Blue Sky" song also made me think of the other passage I had read in the morning before departing for Raleigh:

Life changes, and it is often difficult to change with it.  A new job begins.  The children grow up and move out.  A friend dies.  As we negotiate these transitions, we want to retain what is old as we face what is new.  Today's gospel warns that a new patch will not fit an old garment.  New wine will burst old wineskins.  If we try to hold on to the old in a new world, we will find ourselves in the middle of nowhere.  As difficult as it may be, we must let what is past go and embrace what is now.

Holy moly!!  How appropriate this is for me right now as I begin to wonder what will happen beyond May 2014...Again, this passage should have been read by me back in September but for whatever reason, I read it yesterday morning right before I was to attend IBT with my first 3 friends in NC and before I would hear from Dr. Hahn & Dr. Barber about the differences and blending in of the Old Testament/New Testament.  

Finally, here is a humorous play on the date....the conference was held on 04/13.  When I purchased this book, I had to write a check to pay for it.  The check number was #1413.  Hehe. 


No comments:

Post a Comment