Friday, April 19, 2013

Prayers going out to Boston & Watertown!!

My Aunt Maureen and her friends live in Boston and surrounding areas.  More specifically, my Aunt lives in Watertown, MA, which is currently under lockdown due to police searching for the second suspect in Monday's horrific bombings at the Boston Marathon.  I have many happy memories from attending the Boston Marathon as a child when we would go up as a family and spend time with my Aunt and her friends.  Fortunately, all are safe and accounted for but in the words of my Aunt, it's a scary time for our fellow New Englanders.  She shared her thoughts with me, via email: 


Here, we have been struggling with the horrific events of Monday.  Lots of shock, pain and suffering on this end.
People are pulling together.  It is a great city with good people working hard to turn this tragedy around...or at least not let it determine our future...and ...our everyday living.
 
This is bizarre. Everyone is in lockdown. This has gone on all night long. This is so frightening...imagine Meg, if we lived in the Middle East we would be living with this craziness everyday ?
 
Makes us value peace!



This is one of my favorite pictures with Aunt Maureen from our trip to San Francisco a few summers ago.

Meredith, my best friend from high school, and I spent New Year's Eve 2004 in Boston.  This picture was taken outside the Copley Plaza, which has been in the news all week.  When I think back on this trip, I remember it as a fun night that involved running into Meredith's undergraduate Lebanon Valley College friends in downtown Boston, a dinner party at my Aunt's house with Bahstian people (hehe), a comedy club, dining out at a delicious Italian restaurant, a lesson learned that I need to always carry Benadryl with me in case I have a food allergy reaction (ha!), and waking up to news of the devastating tsunami...
 

I remember snapping this picture of the Library downtown because I enjoyed the snowflakes and other artistic lighting on the side of the building....but now, looking at it and seeing the EMT vehicle that was inadvertently captured in the moment, I'm grateful for the first responders who were so quick to respond to disaster on Monday right after the bombings at the Marathon.  Praying for peace, healing, forgiveness, and answers in Boston!!

Aunt Maureen, Julie, Mere & I enjoying our pre New Year's Eve festivities at Aunt Maureen's home in Watertown several years ago.
Laura & Aunt Maureen

1 comment:

  1. Wow....she lives 1.5 miles from where the 2nd suspect was taken from the boat.....craziness!!

    ReplyDelete