Monday, April 1, 2013

Pink nails for Angela

When I was teaching, I treated myself to a new outfit every time I had an IEP meeting.  I had two reasons for "rewarding" myself in this way. 

1.)  As any special education teacher will tell you, writing/updating/revising an IEP is a LOT of work.  So, knowing that I was going to go to Kohl's and treat myself to a new outfit to wear to the meeting was a little bit of joy I could glean from all the mundane tasks that come with meetings, legal paperwork, and mumbo jumbo.  Oh, and of course the joy that came out of enforcing the IEP  as a member of the "IEP Police" was another perk to this job...ahem. 

2.)  Sometimes, the IEP meetings were the only times I would see some of my parents.  Surely, I couldn't risk wearing the same outfit from last year's IEP meeting to this year's meeting.  Yes, that would be a true horror in this world which was all the more reason why I just had to go shopping for new school clothes just before the IEP meeting. 

So, I don't run IEP meetings anymore but I do attend, present, and network at conferences.  Nowadays, I am unable to shop for clothes but I have found a way to still "treat" myself as a reward for the 3 Ps that come with conferences:  preparation, planning, presenting.  Now, I get a manicure/pedicure before going away on these business trips through Groupon/Living Social.  You never know what you're going to get when you use this coupon voucher service but the way I see it, it's money well spent considering you're getting at least 50% off the service!

This afternoon, I planned on getting a purplish color to sport while in San Antonio compared to the bluish gray I wore to Santa Fe in February.  I had to chuckle to myself as I drove home when I realized my fingers were more pink than purple as the sunlight shone on my nails...something I had not planned.  It also is Easter Monday and it was on Easter Weekend two very short years ago that Angela Faddis and her family began their very moving journey of suffering, acceptance, and true faith.   The pink nails are reminders for me to be grateful for every second that is granted to me and to truly live and embrace all that life has to offer, trusting in Jesus until the end. 

Yes, it's the little things in life, sometimes, that make you smile and bring you joy, if you Just Open Yourself to experience it.  These were the thoughts I had as I drove home in the 70 degree sunshiney weather with the windows down so I could feel the breeze and warm air upon me.  Spring is not my favorite season but seeing the blue sky, the lush greenery, and newly sprouted bright yellow daffodils at the end of the driveway (this is a perk to living in NC right now!), gives me hope and joy over what's to come this season...!

No comments:

Post a Comment