Wednesday, April 10, 2013

It takes a (Spartan) Village

Yesterday I submitted my measly 130 page dissertation proposal to my committee. 



Oh, you know, it wasn't a big deal....other than the fact that it's a draft of what will be one of the most important "papers" I write at this point in my career.  Eeek!  Yesterday was a bit surreal as I worked on the formatting and table of contents.  At 3pm, I wanted to jump up and down and scream from the rafters that this, the bane of my existence, was being submitted to my committee and wanted to very much take a wine break as my friend, Kevin, suggested.  Alas, off to work I went instead...so the wine will have to wait until another day.  I also had a fussy baby in my arms as I had to babysit at the last minute before I could get myself over to campus so no jumping and screaming occurred.  ;)



Looking back at how I got from there to here, my colleague, Sheresa, and I created a writing plan for ourselves back in June 2012.  We both enrolled in SES 775:  Directed Research, the first of a two-part course, in Fall 2012.  While this class is not a formal face to face one and is completed independently with our advisors, I knew myself well enough to know that I needed more structure so was grateful Sheresa was willing to set up a plan with me.  With that plan, came weekly writing meetings and out of that work, came a draft of my literature review by November.  Then, when 2013 arrived, I enrolled in the second part of SES 775 for the spring semester in which I completed my pilot study and continued working on the other chapters of my dissertation proposal.

In the last month or so, I have been working closely with my advisor on these first three chapters of my dissertation.  I am thankful and so appreciative of having an advisor who cares about her students as much as she does.  She gave up several Saturday and Sunday afternoons to work with me.  If it weren't for her, and the help of another colleague, Margo, I don't know that I would have been able to get the draft submitted to my committee by yesterday.  Margo was invaluable in assisting me with locating lost references, up until the last minute and was a good sounding board as we flew on planes in February as I worked my way through my theoretical framework.

They say it takes a village to raise a child...and of course this dissertation is not a child but a new colleague did liken the process to birthing a child when discussing upcoming dissertation plans.  When I first heard Dalawna say this as we got off a plane in the St. Louis Airport, I remember chuckling to myself.  Now, six months and too many hours to count later, I understand a tiny bit of what she meant by that statement.  It seems especially appropriate now as I think of all that is about unfold over the next 9 months. 

So, I'm extremely grateful for those who have helped me, not only this past year, but since the start of this crazy journey back in Fall 2010.  Little Dusty Shamrock has been there via a circled up little ball of comfort at my feet as I type (as he is doing now), poor friends and family members have been on the receiving end of many stressed out text messages/emails/calls and do a good job of keeping me grounded and providing support, Ashley & Monika have stuck out my whirlwind schedule and continue to plan our fabulous girls' escape from reality coming up in a few short weeks, my NC family has provided me a place to call home during my time here, and the support of many many many others from my old job, church (a new friend from Mardi Gras who happens to be a retired editor offered to help with the editing process!!), and on campus have been blessings.  Everyone should be so lucky to have such an awesome support system and I will not soon forget these random acts of kindness..yes, it does take a village but if we all put our hands together, we can get the job done...from asking for assistance with a definition to getting not one, not three, but FIVE books (complete with tabs so that I would know exactly where to look in said books) to use as a guide to coming to my house for a work session during personal time on a weekend to just listening when I need to vent, I'm truly thankful for each and every one of you!! 


So I know the author of this lil book.  ;)
 
I made the second deadline of submitting my first 3 chapters to my committee a day early...now let's just hope that the feedback isn't too harsh!!  Originally, I had hoped to submit everything by Monday, which also happend to be the Feast Day of the Annuciation.  How appropriate it was that my plan did not come to fruition....as it's only in God's timing that things will happen....Help me to be more like Mary in accepting God's Will as she did during the Annunciation!!


Yes, it truly does take a (Spartan) village to make the dissertation world go around...much thanks and love to (in no particular order) my colleagues, the faculty who helped me, & my family/friends.  Thank you for your invaluable help!!  Everyone should be so lucky to have folks like you in his or her corner!  I just hope that someday I can lend a hand to help you all out when needed! 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Blessings!...Kudos!....Felicitaciones...and Mazel Tov to you! It is truly a labor of love! Take your well deserved break while you await feedback from your committee and then go at it again! Proud of you girlie! I'm here if you need me!

    ReplyDelete