Friday, April 12, 2013

There are always (at least) two sides

The other day, I shared information regarding a book I purchased that I am eagerly looking forward to reading this summer.  Today, I ran across an article that discussed the main chapter I'm anticipating reading.  Every issue always has at least two sides to it so of course this chapter is no different.

Lisa Steinfeldposted toAlexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
Read why my op-ed on why the chapter on deafness in Andrew Solomon's book is biased and inaccurate. Please help spread the word! Many thanks to all the AG Bell members who helped me out!
  • Sabine Munshi No words for this guy! and i love the quote of your friend Kelly Gielky!!
  • Jennifer Cowan Lootens Thank you Lisa! While reading the chapter on Deafness in Solomon's book, I felt the information somewhat lacking, with one minute sentence on successful deaf ..."yet I have met profoundly deaf people who were to make such good use of their residual hearing that I could talk to them almost as I would to a hearing person." p.92-93. Then the book moves very quickly away from such success...As an Itinerant Teacher, I serve a wide variety of children with a hearing loss, makes me think of one of my professor's statement..."the Oral deaf suffer at the hands of Sign..." People like us are seen as unique, for me, not so unique when I look at the success of so many people who are positively making good use of the benefits of good technology in hearing aids and cochlear implants. I too, wished he had gone to an AGBell convention. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment