Friday, April 18, 2014

Celebrate My Life

I've been thinking a lot of my Aunt Ollie these last few days since coming home for Easter.  One of the last things she said to my parents, as she lay dying of cancer 33 days after diagnosis, was to "celebrate my life".  Having received news of a friend who is going through the pain of her sister's recent cancer diagnosis with a grim prognosis and talking about it/praying with my parents we talked about how unfair c-a-n-c-e-r is and all those we've lost over the years to this wretched disease.  Mom reminded me that there is a reason for suffering and all will be used for the good of the Lord even if we can't see it.

Reflecting on these final words from one of the best women I knew and loved on today, on Good Friday, and recalling the final events of Jesus' life on this Earth, I can't help but think of the words, "celebrate my life".  Each week, at mass, we celebrate Jesus' life and really now that I think about it, we should every day through our actions and words.

I saw one example of this on a flight back from my interview in Ohio.  It had been a long day of interviewing, teaching, and asking and answering questions.  As I wearily waited to board my flight in Pittsburgh, I noticed a little girl around ten or twelve years old who seemed a bit agitated as her mother and family waited to board the plane.  A few minutes later, I took my seat which ended up being right behind the family.  My seatmate made a comment over the little girl's "outbursts" as the plane prepped for takeoff.  I'm not sure she knew much about autism but it was clear to the special educator in me the little girl was not acting out or misbehaving out of opposition.

As the flight attendants explained the safety and evacuation procedures, the little girl's vocalizations grew louder and louder as she sensed the plane was about to take off and as a result, I noticed a few of the other passengers glancing over at the family.  Next, one of the attendants approached the row in front of me and leaned over to talk directly to the little girl and ask the mother if the family needed anything.  Rather than talking to only the mother or being in a rush to finish the conversation, he took his time and actually spoke with the little girl.  At the end of the conversation, she gave him a sticker that he immediately put on his shirt collar.  The little girl beamed as the attendant fussed over the sticker and obliged when he asked for another sticker for the pilot.  A few moments later, when the pilot's voice came over the intercom to inform us passengers the flight was about to begin, he added, "And I would like to say a special thank you to 'Sally' for my sticker!"  She squealed with delight when she heard her name on the PA system of the plane.  Throughout the flight, I smiled as I observed the flight attendant's going above and beyond attitude as he tended to the family and brought them extra snacks and engaged in a twenty minute conversation with the father.  It was apparent the family had been stressed and worried about flying as we waited to board the plane but then visibly relaxed as they encountered such sweet service in the truly "friendly skies". 

Jesus was present in so many people on that flight.  He was there through the attentive attendant.  He was there through the doting yet worrying parents.  He was there in keeping the pilot's hand steady as he guided the plane.  He was there in that little girl who communicated in a different manner than the majority of the passengers on the flight.  He was there with the possibly impatient folks who may have been softened by the kindness shown by others.  He is also there when we are in our darkest moments such as finding out devastating news thanks to cancer or when the unthinkable has happened.  Perhaps it is at times like these we must dig down a bit deeper to embrace the words, "thy will be done", we profess when we pray the Our Father. 

Last night and this morning, my parents and I had the privilege of enjoying some beautiful music from Tony Deblois.  Tony plays 23 different instruments and can sing in eleven different languages.  He has performed all over the world and is a family friend of ours.  My family met him through his volunteering his talents through my Aunt Maureen's prison ministry several years ago and he has performed fundraiser concerts for my Mom's old schools over the years.  Somehow, in spite of the many visits as they passed from Massachusetts through Pennsylvania to other states, I had never had the opportunity to meet Tony and his dear mother, Jan, until yesterday when they spent the night.  My parents, Adam (via Skype), and I were treated to an impromptu concert even though Jan and Tony had only had three hours of sleep the night prior and had driven nearly 12 hours that day!!!  Then, first thing after breakfast this morning, Tony treated us to more of his musical talents!  By the way this gifted musical genius performs everywhere and does weddings, parties, church functions, concerts, fundraisers, and well you name it so if you're in need of his pianist and/or vocalist services, check out his facebook page by searching for his name or learn more about him by clicking here

I have a 30 minute video from this morning's concert and hope you can find some time in your day to watch or at least listen to it! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment