Saturday, April 19, 2014

Lady in Blue

At the last faith study at my church we discussed the different titles and names we use for Mary.  A favorite of mine has always been Queen of the Universe and Star of the Sea.  Whenever I hear Mary referred to as Queen of the Universe, I think of one of my favorite depictions of her as shown at the beautiful retreat grounds in Malvern, PA.


I snapped these photos during the first young adults retreat I attended at the conclusion of my first year in the PhD program.  I remember finishing work on Wednesday, hopping in my car on Thursday, and attending the retreat that Friday and Saturday.  What a glorious way to start my first summer as a PhD student!!!

So now that you know my fondness for this title of Mary you can appreciate the surprise and excitement I just experienced when I called the hotel where I will be presenting this summer in Florida.  For I had found out that the closest church to the resort where I would be working was none other than the Basilica of the National Shrine of Mary, Queen of the Universe.  I have not been there yet but I did see pictures and learn a little about it from my friend in NC, Kevin, since he used to go there when he lived in FL! 

I am always excited to talk about the research of my colleagues and me, especially with new folks, but now I'm even more excited to check out this church while I'm in the South!  If you have any special prayer intentions you would like for me to take with me in my prayer journal, please do share them with me.

For now, I leave you with these interesting facts I found on the church website:


A 2,000 seat Shrine Church adorned with inspirational stained-glass windows, depicting the story of God's love for man, and Mary's place in God's plan for salvation. The Shrine's fourteen aisle windows are entitled "The Magnificat Windows."
The Shrine's defining representation of Mary, Queen of the Universe. A project long delayed as the sculptor, Jill Burkee combed the great quarries of Carrara, Italy for a block of rare, pure white marble, the completed 8-foot work stands on a marble base and encloses the names of some 3,300 Shrine Associates.
Within the Church, a specially designed Blessed Sacrament Chapel enables worshippers to spend time in communion with the Lord.
The Outdoor Chapel, featuring a magnificent bronze sculpture of the Mother and Child, created by renowned artist Jerzy Kenar.
The recently opened Pilgrimage Center, in which visitors have the opportunity to learn more about the history of the Christian Pilgrimage and the place of the Catholic Church in world history. This interactive exhibit also features an informative tribute to the "Pilgrim Pope", John Paul II.
A Museum displaying historic treasures of Church art in the United States and from around the world.
Tranquil walkways, fountains and outdoor gardens provide a the visitor with an ideal place to meditate and reflect.

1 comment:

  1. What's even more incredible is I just found out one of my new housemates in Ohio currently attends a parish in Alabama called, Our lady, Queen of the Universe! Amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete