Monday, August 10, 2015

Meals as a Mrs. ~ Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting

I can't even type the title of this recipe without my mouth watering.  This dessert was seriously so good.  I'm not a huge chocolate cake fan but this one definitely takes the prize!!  Since my Dad was joining me for lunch (with Mom, Susie, Mary Jane, and Adam), I made this one just for him....and also because the Homemade Almond Roca I attempted to make was a disaster.  So, at 9am on Sunday morning the weekend my parents came by for a quick overnight visit, I was busy whipping up this cake and frosting.  Why this flavor you ask?  Well, my Dad's sister, my beloved Aunt Ollie, made the most delicious chocolate cake topped with peanut butter frosting so I was on the hunt to find a recipe that would help to bring back that nostalgic dessert!

I didn't have to look very far as someone on my Facebook friends list had recently posted this recipe.  First of all, what....mayo in the cake?!  I shrugged it off when I saw that figuring that other recipes insert applesauce, soda, etc. in to their recipes and they turn out just as good so surely this would be the case too!  Well, I have to say this cake far exceeded my expectations.  It was one of the plumpest cakes I've ever made sitting at a high 4 inches in the 9 x 13 baking pan!  The picture below doesn't even do the cake justice.  I should have taken a photo of the slice on my plate.  Oh, and talk about moist...even the edges of the cake were not even close to being dry thanks to the super moist rich result of this recipe.  The peanut butter frosting did not quite measure up to my Aunt Ollie's iconic creamy smooth peanut butter recipe from our memories but it was still good!  I definitely give this recipe two thumbs up for sure!

Some modifications I had to make to this recipe were to bake the cake for an extra 15 minutes and under the frosting section of the recipe I added some extra peanut butter as well as some milk to try to make the frosting a bit more creamy.

*  I found this in the comments section of the recipe and will try this next time regarding the frosting:   
"Cake recipe is perfect, but yes, the milk is missing from the frosting. I used 1/2 c peanut butter instead of 1/3 cup. Then added 1/2 c milk and 6T butter. Oh. My. Gosh. Best frosting I've ever tasted!!"


More from Humane Vitae's Doctrinal Principles that spoke to me this evening:

Married love is also faithful and exclusive of all other, and this until death.  This is how husband and wife understood it on the day on which, fully aware of what they were doing, they freely vowed themselves to one another in marriage.  Though this fidelity of husband and wife sometimes presents difficulties, no one has the right to assert that it is impossible; it is, on the contrary, always honorable and meritorious...fidelity is in accord with the nature of marriage, but also is the source of profound and enduring happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment