Thursday, August 20, 2015

Room Reveal: Master Bedroom

The master bedroom was the first room I painted in our new house.  It was also the first time I picked up a paint brush since we painted my old roommate's townhouse in York back in May of 2008!  That was fun.  Ashley, her mom, and our friend Jayme (who had come in from Michigan) spent a weekend priming and painting all three floors of her new house.  It was the first time I lived somewhere I could help pick out wall colors after years and years of apartment living and plain white walls.  I so loved the chocolate chip mint ice cream pale green bedroom and the light lilac purple bathroom that Ashley let me choose.  It's funny to think those were the wedding colors too now as I reflect on those two rooms in Ash's house.

Here are some pictures from that fun painting weekend.  Unfortunately I don't have any of the finished product but you'll be able to see the purple and the green in the background of the only two pictures I have from the bathroom and the bedroom.

Ash looks like she's inside an igloo!

I had forgotten how dark these walls were before we painted them!

This is the only picture I could dig up of my old bedroom.  I just loved the light green color and those curtains behind me to the left are currently the office window curtains in Adam's and my house!

Pretty purple!
Sooo when it came time to picking out colors for the new house back in January, naturally I suggested mint green or light lilac and naturally, Adam was not inclined toward those colors.  Standing in Lowe's in the paint section, debating colors took it's toll and by the time we arrived at the master bedroom, Adam sighed and said, "Ok, I'll let you pick since we compromised on the other colors".  I went for Valspar's Sweet Slumber thinking it would be similar to the light green but instead it would be a little more manly since it was blue for Adam.  The color ended up being a LOT lighter than I had anticipated and is surprisingly not that noticeable in the daylight but does appear to be more blue at nighttime when the lights are off....go figure!

If you would like to see what the master bedroom looked like "live" you can see some of it in the brief video clip that is shared at the bottom of this posting.  Here is a "before" picture from when I looked at the house last fall and the previous owner was still living here.




I was able to paint this room before the new carpet was installed as it was the first room I tackled in the house.

Goodbye white walls....and soon to the white carpet too!

We also replaced the ceramic floral fan pulls with a neutral wooden fan pull that reminds me of mini pottery (one of my NC hobbies thanks to Seagrove, NC!). 

You can see by this picture that the blue hallway carpet differed drastically from the white carpet in the master bedroom.  Now we have all one color of carpet throughout the entire house for a more uniform look that we preferred.


The painting of this room was done in one day but truth be told it could use another coat of paint to cover the spots I missed....hmm....maybe that will be a project for next summer! 

We replaced the lace curtains left behind by the previous owner with a denim blue curtain that brings out the gray pattern on our bedspread while also still matching our walls.  This look is a bit bold for me but I like it!!



That purple flower is no longer hanging on the wall as is portrayed here but is downstairs now.  In this room, we hung things where already existing nails were which is why you will see some randomly placed items along the wall.  LOL!

Growing up, I loved reading the banner my Aunt Maureen had created for my parents' wedding that they hung over their bed.  Now, fast forward how many years later and this chalkboard sign gift from Aunt Maureen reminds me of that banner only this is the more "modern" look!  Love it!!  The wine bottle was part of the sweetheart table centerpiece at the reception along with the candle top from San Francisco that served as our unity candle (if only we had had our matches!).  The ribbon with the key hanging on the wine bottle was carried by your younger ring bearer.  Next to the wine bottle (that is from the night we got engaged) is the prayer journal with Adam's wedding day card tucked into it.  I do need to buy a votive holder for the candle at the far left as the candle is too large for the one I'm using now!
 
Aunt Marie gave me the "Dream" necklace a few years ago.  I love having it draped on the side of our mirror like this as it reminds me of all the dreams and blessings that have been coming true since meeting Adam back in October 2013!!
We removed the closet doors and added these curtains as doors.  Adam selected this fabric and color since he felt they were better suited to the comforter.  They remind me of the auditorium and curtain for the stage at Holy Family Elementary School and take me back to the years of selling concessions at recess and of course our Christmas shows there as a child.  Wait until you see the material we chose for the guest bedroom closet!!  In this picture, you also get a sense of the more cohesive look of the neutral brown carpet in both the bedroom and the hallway.
This was our "first married selfie" that was taken just before the reception on a golf cart at Heritage Hills as Adam and I drove with the matron of honor, the best man, our videographer, and photographers to the pictures site.

This was my view last night on the last official day of summer as I attempted to fall asleep "early" & I absolutely loved how my favorite day from this past summer was highlighted by the glow of the candlelight. What a beautiful summer full of blessings Summer 2015 was!!  Thank you God (and all those of you who were a part of it)!!



No comments:

Post a Comment