Friday, August 14, 2015

Meals as a Mrs. ~ Olivia's Buttermilk Pie

This particular recipe is one of my all time favorites.  I worked with one of my students from the age of 2 until about 3rd grade or so.  I forget what grade he was in during my last year of teaching in York.  Anyhow, I had become good friends with this family and babysat from time to time.  It seemed each time I was there, at the house, Joan would offer me a slice of delicious buttermilk pie.  When I first heard about it, I was hesitant as I had never had it before and I'm not a huge fan of buttermilk (at least I thought I wasn't).  Well, one bite of this buttermilk pie won me over and quickly became a favorite dessert.  This is surprising considering I usually like icing, cookies, and ice cream for my desserts.  I don't usually care for Boston Cream Pie or custard yet the thought of this buttermilk pie makes my mouth water!

What is so heavenly about this dessert is when you take a bite of this relatively simple pie (it only has six ingredients!), is the pie turns out flaky and slightly crispy on the outside but is soft, super moist, and very tender on the inside of the pie so much so that your mouth and taste buds are pleasantly surprised.  I love the textures of this dessert!!  The top of the bite will remind you of a rich filling cake but the bottom of the same mouthful will remind you of custard!  It is especially good fresh from the oven while it is still warm but you can easily warm up a slice of pie later by placing in the microwave for a few seconds.  Oh, this tender bite will fall apart in your mouth and your taste buds will thank you! 

I made this buttermilk pie a couple years ago in California for a St. Patrick's Day meal with Adam's parents and used green food coloring to try to draw a shamrock on the center of it.  The food coloring settled into the center of the pie but made it look like there was spinach mixed in with it when we sliced the pie into servings.  It still tasted good even if we had images of spinach dancing through our heads as we ate.  I've never put whipped cream or ice cream on the pie to serve it a la mode since is so rich and creamy as is but I suppose one could try that!  I think it is fine the way it is and would just be delightful with a cup of coffee.  I like it either warm, fresh from the oven, or cold as you do need to keep it in the fridge.  Yum yum yum!!

I also, through using this recipe, learned how to create homemade buttermilk because who wants all that leftover buttermilk from the store when you only  need a little bit?  This is the recipe I followed for the buttermilk.



This morning I continued praying and following along with Humanae Vitae.  Here is a passage that resonated with me.  I'm so thankful for the support we gather from not only each other and God but our families, loved ones, and the members of religious in our church.

In humble obedience then to her voice, let Christian husbands and wives be mindful of their vocation to the Christian life, a vocation which, deriving from their Baptism, has been confirmed anew and made more explicit by the Sacrament of Matrimony.  For by this sacrament they are strengthened and, one might almost say, consecrated to the faithful fulfillment of their duties.  Thus will they realize to the full their calling and bear witness as becomes them, to Christ before the world.  For the Lord has entrusted to them the task of making visible to men and women the holiness and joy of the law which united inseparably their love for one another and the cooperation they give to God's love, God who is the Author of human life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment