Saturday, August 29, 2015

Meals as a Mrs. ~ A made up breakfast sandwich?

During the last week of summer, I saw a brief 40 second video on a friend's page on facebook that showed how to make a breakfast bread bowl using hollowed out bread and egg. I can't find the link to the video now but I recall they used ciabatta bread and followed a simple recipe.  We didn't have all the ingredients on hand but had regular hamburger buns, eggs, bacon, and cheese so I thought I would give it a try and make a breakfast sandwich rather than a bread bowl meal.  I lined each bun with foil, spread a little bit of butter in the bottom of each bun, sprinkled in some cheddar cheese, laid down the chopped up bacon, then cracked half an egg into each part of the bun on the tray.  Everything baked in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  Next, I placed chicken patties with caramelized onions in them (they tasted a bit like sausage!?) on the bread and voila, a made up breakfast sandwich was served for lunch during one of the last days of summer.  

If I were to do this again, I would definitely use a ciabatta roll and would use a different kind of meat.  Adam and I didn't care for the taste of this brand of chicken patty.  In Adam's words, they tasted like, "they were made up of ground up leftover chicken parts".  Mmm, tasty, right?  LOL!  Overall, I enjoyed the texture of this sandwich as we ate them warm from the oven and would make these again as the taste of the eggs in the warm crisp bread was so good!


Mystery meat chicken patty....?

In terms of presentation, I should have sprayed the foil with cooking spray before placing the bun in the foil as I lost some of the bread when peeling the bun off the foil.  It still tasted good though!

I've not been able to read as much from the current document I'm working through, Humanae Vitae, with returning to work but here is a passage I reflected on this morning:

For this reason husbands and wives should take up the burden appointed to them, willingly, in the strength of faith and of that hope which "does not disappoint us, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us".  Then let them implore the help of God with unremitting prayer and, most of all, let them draw grace and charity from that unfailing fount which is the Eucharist. 

Reading this passage makes me realize all the more how Adam and I are a team and together we will face challenges and overcome them with God's help.  Right now, the challenge we(I) face is dealing with the homesickness and missing out on family events and milestones that are occurring on both sides but we(I) have to believe there is a purpose for it all and we're where God needs us to be right now.  As my Mom reminded me last night, "God had all the right...all the BEST reasons for bringing you and Adam together!".  Ah, there is nothing like the love God has for us and while I'm thinking of it and learning all the more each day, nothing like the love a mother has for her own child.  We're so thankful for Mom Sue and Mom's love in our lives and those women who came before us.  We wouldn't be here or the people we are today if it weren't for them.  Thinking of our mothers (and fathers) in an extra special way today.


No comments:

Post a Comment