Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Meals as a Mrs. ~ Rum Chata French Toast



I’ve been craving all things breakfast as of late.  It started right before the wedding when Mom, Dad, Adam, and I went to Cracker Barrel for a late dinner.  Even though it was close to closing time, I ordered a breakfast meal (thank goodness for breakfast all day menus) that I split with Adam’s dinner of some kind of chicken platter.  It was an unusual pairing and as is always the case when you eat at Cracker Barrel we came home with all sorts of leftovers but the food was oh so good.  Then, continuing on the honeymoon, we feasted at a couple different pancake houses and over this past summer, I’ve been on this breakfast streak in ordering breakfast when I can no matter the time of day.  

It’s no surprise, then, that a couple weekends ago, when a good friend from college came to visit I couldn’t resist the urge to cook up a large breakfast of French toast, eggs, and bacon for Adam, Monika, and me to feast on that Saturday.  However, the French Toast was not just any ordinary kind of French Toast.  I added a special ingredient courtesy of our recent road trip to Chicago to the batter!  The week prior to Monika’s arrival, we had gone to see my closest friend from high school and her family.  Meredith and Joe gave us a bottle of Rum Chata to take back with us.  Upon her suggestion, I added 1/2 cup of the liquor to the batter as I prepared the French Toast.  This was the first time that I didn’t need to add cinnamon or sugar to the breakfast meal for the liquor took care of that!  (Here is the link to the recipe I used but I doubled the amount of liquor from 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup.)

Another secret ingredient I added to our breakfast was to put some mayonnaise into the eggs before I scrambled them.  This was something that my former roommate’s mom shared with us a long time ago.  I remember, at the time, thinking what…..you put mayo in the eggs?!  However, you can’t taste the mayo and it really does help to make them thick and fluffy!!  

So, once the French Toast was cooked and powdered sugar sprinkled on top of the slices, the eggs were scrambled and oozing with cheesy goodness, and the bacon was crisp and sizzling, it was time to sit down and enjoy our breakfast brunch!  I will definitely be keeping the Rum Chata on hand for future breakfasts….Adam even likes it mixed into his milk or just drinking it straight.  For now, I’ll take it in my French toast/in the cooked format but look forward to trying it in other ways as I find new recipes/uses for this tasty and delicious smelling concoction!




This prayer is an extension of the Hands Prayer from an earlier blog posting:

These are the hands that will enter the Sacrament of Matrimony.  These four hands will be your armor and shield against the evils and temptations of the world.

These are the hands that will reach out, first to each other, then united will spread your love and your sacrament to all they touch.

These are the hands that ease your parents' loneliness as you leave the nest, will first teach your children the marvels of married love, and will be a sign to friends and strangers alike as to just how wonderful married life can be. 

Through these four hands, God will renew His church.  These hands are the hope of a trouble humanity. 

These are the hands that will change the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment