Monday, August 10, 2015

Meals as a Mrs. ~ Homemade Almond Roca

While making this snack, I learned that impatience does not pay off and had to quickly think of another dessert to serve the guests.  That is to come in a future blog post but this current posting is devoted to my first (and probably last) attempt at making homemade candy that involves boiling.  I used a candy thermometer for the first time in trying to create this sweet concoction.

Although I had never tasted this candy before, I figured with only 4 ingredients, how difficult can this be?  So I printed out the Homemade Almond Roca recipe and got to work the night before our guests arrived for lunch the next day.

Well, my impatience kept it from turning out the way it should have.  Everything started out rather well with mixing the ingredients together and so forth.  However, when the candy thermometer just didn't budge beyond 215 degrees after my stirring and then Adam's stirring and then my stirring over constant heat I figured it would be fine to take the mixture off the heat rather than waiting until it reached the required temperature of 290 degrees.  I proceeded to pour the candy into the cookie sheet and figured it would get hard overnight as it cooled.

Not so, not so.  You could give me an A for effort I suppose but this what was supposed to be like brittle candy ended up being more of a gooey needing to be spooned up mess.  It was still good and in a way reminded me of caramel but would probably have been better as a hard candy as the recipe indicated it would be.  Lesson to the story?  Be more patient and wait until the temperature reaches 290 degrees as is called for in the recipe.  Good luck!  =)




Married love is a love which is total-that very special form of personal friendship in which husband and wife generously share everything, allowing no unreasonable exceptions and not thinking solely of their own convenience.  Whoever really loves his partner loves no only for what he receives, but loves that partner for the partner's own sake, content to be able to enrich the other with the gift of himself. - Humanae Vitae Doctrinal Principles

No comments:

Post a Comment