Saturday, August 29, 2015

What will we watch now?







Last January when Adam first moved to Ohio, we started watching The Office together on netflix.  Tonight we finished the last episode.  I was already feeling pretty emotional after a long week of returning to school, getting back into the routine, and adjusting.  I probably shouldn't have ended the day with ending the series we have been watching for the last nearly nine months.  LOL!  Now I'm sad and missing the characters already.  The last couple of shows really hit home for me when Jim and Pam struggled a bit.  Pam felt like she might be holding Jim back and felt guilty over his staying in Scranton instead of moving to Philly as he had initially wanted to do for his other job.  Jim kept trying to reassure Pam that he was happy and in love and things were fine in Scranton.  This scene was one of my all time favorites when I watched it a few years ago and again tonight.


Pardon the quality of the video as it was the best I could find.One of my favorite lines from tonight was when Jim said, "Not enough for me?  You're my everything!"  Swoon!  I couldn't help but think of the parallels and how I've worried about uprooting Adam and how he moved across the country for us; for the chance to start our lives together.  I know I wouldn't be as happy here even though I enjoy my job, love my pups (in spite of the stubbornness of learning to go potty outside on the little one's part), and have met some pretty neat people since moving here if he weren't here sharing it with me.  The only negative to living here is being so far away from both of our families.  Granted, the distance from my side pales in comparison to his side seeing as they are three time zones away and my family is a 5-7 hour drive away...and during the dark days when I wonder if we made a mistake in coming here or fret about the distance, I remember this:




I also think about how it's not about being "enough" to warrant cause for such a change/move but that it's everything.  It wasn't all that long ago that we were relying on skype and emails as our main contact and I don't think I'll ever take for granted Adam being in the same house let alone same room with me....then again those of you who have been married for a long time you might be chuckling attributing what I'm saying to newlywed nonsense but I hope to never lose this sense of wonder and anticipation!  Anticipation is a good word to describe each time we have a visit with family or go to see them too.  Four months from now we'll be wrapping up what I'm sure will be a wonderful visit in California after meeting our new niece (she's due to arrive next month!), getting in lots of quality time with Adam's immediate and extended family, and even squeezing in a visit to a new city for me (Oceanside) thanks to a very generous wedding gift we received!  Thanks to the wedding, my whole side of the family was able to gather together once this past summer but that was already over 3 months ago...!  The times we are all able to come together are rare thanks to various work schedules (shouldn't everyone just be teachers and be on the same schedules?!) and living in four different states but we try to get together the best we can.  I'm so glad we have Skype and Facebook to help stay connected not to mention texting/email to help maintain that strong sense of connection.

Even though the long distance living is a struggle and challenge at times I have to believe that God wouldn't have led us to be here if it weren't His Will.  One of the humorous ways I seek that is through the fact that my school boasts that the highest number of students from a state to attend this itty bitty school is none other than California.  Thursday was also the feast day of St. Monica followed by the feast day of her son., St. Augustine, on Friday.  Both of these saints figure prominently into Adam's and his mom's story which I can't help but notice as I struggle with these feelings of loneliness and doubt.  So I will keep trusting in following the plan God has for us and leaning into that as well as turning inward and keeping the focus on this quiet little family and life we're building here.  Hopefully our family (and friends) know there is always an open door to our home for them and will still keep us in their thoughts in spite of the miles between us.  Sending out a virtual hug to all of our loved ones both near and far tonight!  I'm just a silly emotional mess tonight and think I'll feel better after letting out a good cry but I have just one question left....what are we gonna watch now that we have completed The Office?  Have you any suggestions?  I was thinking of taking it old school and maybe watching Cheers?  You know...sometimes you just wanna go where everyone knows your name...!


No comments:

Post a Comment